Power Drive Kits
Spanco Power Drive Kits for our PF Series Gantry Cranes allow high volume, high capacity gantry travel along V-tracks, guide angles, or truly trackless paths.
The power drive kit includes: Two drives with drive wheels and sprockets; chains; two gear reducers; two single-speed, 230/460V, three-phase, TEFC motors; solid state, adjustable “soft start”; and two idler assemblies. Standard travel speed is 50 FPM; custom speeds available.
- V-Track Drives: Two motors drive rigid steel V-groove wheels along a fixed path.
- Guide Angle Drives: Ideal for installations where the gantry runs along a wall. Two motors drive polyurethane wheels that are guided on one side by a guide angle (locally sourced). The guide angle lags into the floor, typically at the base of a wall. The kit includes guide rollers on one drive and one idler assembly. Both drive and idler come with polyurethane bumpers.
- Truly Trackless Drives: Ideal when you need to keep your shop floor clear of any tracks or angle guides. A selector switch on the control pendant selectively turns each motor on and off to guide the gantry along.
Options for Custom Power Installations
- Top running end trucks (for single leg (semi-gantry) applications)
- Multi-speed AC inverter drives
- Motor brakes
- Air-driven power drive kits
- Crane controls
- Push-button stations controls
- Control enclosures suitable for severe environments or hazardous areas
- Warning lights, audible alarms, or travel limit switches
- Crane wiring with rubber-covered S.O. type cable or in metal conduit
- Cable reels and electrification systems
- Festooning systems: tagline, flat cable, and box track
There are no case studies for this product. View all case studies for Spanco crane systems.
Products covered under the One-Year Warranty:
- All motorized products (Motorized Workstation Bridge Cranes, Jib Cranes, and Gantry Cranes, Retrofit Jib Drives, and Beam and Enclosed Track Tractor Drives)
What the One-Year Warranty covers:
- Defects in equipment material and workmanship
Spanco, Inc. warrants motorized equipment to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year or 2,000 hours, commencing on the date of shipment to the first retail purchaser. This warranty does not cover defective equipment or system failure caused by misuse, negligence, improper installation or maintenance, or equipment that has been used in excess of its rated capacity or beyond its service factors. It does not apply to equipment that has been altered without Spanco’s written authorization.
Written notice of any claimed system defect must be given to Spanco within thirty days of discovery. Spanco's obligation under this warranty is limited to the replacement or repair of Spanco’s products at the factory or separate location approved by Spanco. The purchaser is responsible for all freight and transportation costs relating to equipment repair or replacement. Other than the abovementioned warranty, Spanco will not honor any other warranties–whether express, implied, or statutory–and disclaims any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Spanco is not liable–under any circumstances–for any indirect, incidental, or consequential damages including but not limited to lost profits, increased operating costs, or loss of production.
This warranty does not extend to components or accessories not manufactured by Spanco. The purchaser’s remedy for such components and accessories will be determined by the terms and conditions of any the warranty provided by the manufacturer of such components and accessories.
NOTE: All manual Spanco products come with a Ten-Year Warranty on non-wearable parts.
General Design Standards:
Spanco cranes are designed in conformance with the following applicable standards:
- Workstation Bridge Cranes: AISC Steel Construction Manual, OSHA 1910.179, ANSI B30.11, AWS D1.1/D1.6, and MMA MH27.2
- Gantry Cranes: AISC Steel Construction Manual, OSHA 1910.179, ANSI B30.11, AWS D1.1/D1.2/D1.6, and CMAA 74
- Jib Cranes: AISC Steel Construction Manual, OSHA 1910.179, ANSI B30.11, AWS D1.1/D1.6, and CMAA 74
All Spanco cranes have a design factor of 15% of the allowable capacity for the weight of the hoist and 25% for impact.
All welding performed during the manufacturing of Spanco cranes meets the American Welding Society’s (AWS) D1.1/D1.2/D1.6 Standards.
Spanco, Inc. is officially certified as an AWS Certified Welding Fabricator (CWF). This means that not only are all welders AWS Certified, but all processes and procedures adhere to AWS CWF requirements. Examples of requirements include annual calibration of all welding machines and Level 2 visual inspections on all load-bearing components.
All steel used in the manufacturing of Spanco cranes meets the following applicable ASTM International specifications:
Structural Steel Shapes: ASTM A-36
Structural Steel Pipes: ASTM A-53
Structural Steel Tubing: ASTM A-500
Steel plate and round bar used in Spanco cranes have minimum yield strengths of 36 KSI.
Surface Preparation & Painting Procedures:
Spanco adheres to the standards of the Society for Protective Coatings (SSPC) for all product surface preparation. Prior to painting, all Spanco crane components are deburred and descaled using power tools equipped with sanding discs and wire wheels. Components are then washed utilizing a high-pressure/high temperature biodegradable degreaser solution. Parts are wiped clean and allowed to dry before the painting process. During painting, all components surfaces are coated with a quick drying, semi-gloss enamel, applied to a minimum dry-film thickness of 2 to 3 mils. A finishing coat is applied with a hot, airless, electrostatic spray paint system. Painted components are cured at air temperature.
The following guidelines for deflection and stress are followed by Spanco engineers during the crane design process:
- Workstation Bridge Cranes: All models designed to L/450
- Jib Cranes: Wall-Mounted Cantilever (300 Series) models designed to L/150, Freestanding (100, 101, and 102 Series), Mast Style (200 Series), and Wall-Mounted Bracket (301 Series) models design to L/450
- Workstation Jib Cranes: Wall-Mounted (WC Series) models designed to L/225, Freestanding (FR Series) models designed to L/150
- Gantry Cranes: All steel series models to L/600, Aluminum models to L/450
Spanco, Inc. is an ISO 9001-2008 Registered corporation. This means that Spanco cranes are manufactured to standards ensuring safety, reliability, and the highest quality. Spanco, Inc.’s ISO designation also allows for continuous improvement based on customer feedback.
- Inspect entire system annually or more frequently as defined by OSHA 1910.179. Inspection must be performed by a qualified person. Failure to do so may cause serious injury or death.
- Never attempt to work on or adjust the electrical functions of this system unless you are a certified industrial electrician.
- Working on or adjusting the electrical functions of this system by anyone other than a certified industrial electrician will void the warranty.
- Never use a crane as electrical ground. A separate ground wire and ground path is required for all electrical installations.
- Read and understand the Operation Manual before operating this equipment.
- OSHA Lock-out Tag-out procedures must be followed before performing any adjustments or maintenance on this equipment.
- Never transport humans with any power drive.
- Never operate this system without all safety guards in place.
- Never modify power drive system or system components without express written consent from Spanco.
- Modification of this system will void the warranty.
- Never operate a power drive without end stops installed on tracks.
- Never side load a power drive.
- All unusual noises and unusual drive operations must be immediately identified and corrected.